Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Pete Seeger quotes


I got a couple Pete Seeger cds from the library last week. Some quotes from the liner notes that I found compelling.

"Books, TV, tapes, pictures- All our modern aids to communication are great, but the danger is that they become a substitute for the communication which people used to carry on with each other"

"I'd be proudest if my records were thought of as 'demos'-demonstration records, just to listen to and learn the song"

"The best thing would be for people to sing along with the record. Or else to learn the songs off the record, and sing 'em yourself; THEN GIVE THE RECORD AWAY [caps added]"

"The musicality of a nation should be judged not by the presence of a few highly expert musicians, but rather by the ability of the average rank and file man or woman to sing, or dance, or play some instrument"

Amazing that a person who's source of revenue is record sales (and some concert money I'm sure) advocates the free exchange of his own information.

No comments:

Post a Comment