Monday, February 15, 2010

Mavs action

Dallas hosted the All-star game this weekend- huge success and way too many people. Cable was out on Friday and Saturday so I didn't get to check out the good non-game stuff (still haven't really seen the dunk contest, anyone know of somewhere I can find it complete online?). I watched a good chunk of the first half of the actually game and it wasn't that good except for this:


make that two made 3's in his career, almost as good as watching Shaq play point last year.

But this all overshadowed the big trade Cuban pulled off. Mavericks shed:
Josh Howard

Drew Gooden





and some other junk

and the Mavs pick up:
Caron Butler


Brendan Haywood


and DeShawn Stevenson


My analysis?
This makes them way better. Damp sucks balls normally, and even more so when he's injured, so the addition of Haywood alone is great. Butler will have some issues adjusting to playing more two than three, and having fewer opportunities than he did in Washington when Agent Zero wasn't playing (basically the entire last three seasons), but it's not like Howard was clutch or dependable for scoring anyway, so you're really not losing anything there. This also has the added advantage of taking Jet out of the starting lineup and though he's an ok starter he's much better as the 6th man.

Prediction:
They go 17-13 from here on out.

This brings me to my next point:
I've decided to switch my allegiance from the Pistons to the Mavericks. You can call me a fair weather fan, but it's mostly about personnel and availability (and I still still follow the Bills so much that I listen to most of their games on Internet radio for lack of other means so suck that) . The Detroit players that I really enjoy watching- Chauncey, Sheed, Afflalo, and most off all, Dice, are no longer there. The ones they have now have no character and no heart. And it's not really fun rooting for a team you can't ever see play (especially with basketball which radio doesn't capture well at all).

So I hope the Mav's can kick some ass with this new and improved lineup. I'll be cheering for them.

2 comments:

  1. YAY! welcome to the dark blue side.
    i will have to say i'll miss jho and his racist comments, but i think he's past his prime. It'll be good to have some real tall people in our lineup. they'll make barrea look even shorter than he does now. i read an article about how getting these 3 new people will make us much stronger against the lakers (and that's all it's about anyway, right?)...so i'm excited to see how this all works out. i didn't get to see much of the weekend because our tv is going out, but i did catch a couple minutes from the all star game, and there was a point where nash passed the ball to dirk, and it actually made me a little weepy. i miss that combo. nice call trading that guy, cuban.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had NO idea you liked the NBA! I guess since you're a veg I assumed you only followed fantasy ultimate frisbee. Good shit!

    Very good trade for the Mavs, and now with Stevenson you officially got a player with a tattoo of a $5 bill on his neck. You should google him immediately if you haven't. He's.... awesome.

    No problem with switching, your alliance to the Pistons were merely regional and as far as I know (and I'm not sure) you weren't a fan before you moved there. Makes sense to switch, your steadfastness to the Bills exemplifies your strong fanhood. And listening to them shows your insanity.

    This is like a Ben post about hockey, except I care and read the entire post.

    ReplyDelete