Sunday, February 21, 2010

DSO plays Shosty 7

I went to the Dallas Symphony on Friday night with Kaley- they played a Violin concerto which we missed and Shostakovich's Symphony no. 7. Surprisingly I hadn't ever heard this piece before. It's a really long work and has a ginormous brass section (double the normal number of players). In general I liked it- it's fairly melodramatic, but still fun to listen to. There's a point in the first movement where its just the snare drum and col legno strings, which sounded really amazing- so quiet you could hear people breathing. The DSO snare drum player is incredibly precise. He sounded great in Bolero a couple months ago and again in this piece. In contrast the end of the symphony is wall rumbling loud, the entire orchestra blaring out fortissimo- really powerful with the huge brass section. A much better concert than Ma Vlast.

No comments:

Post a Comment