Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Bear is back...with beer.

So I'm restarting the blog after a long summer hiatus. Back on the bandwagon. And to start here's a beer review of a bottle I got to celebrate. But first a big congrats to AK for an awesome beat win. Here's to a big bump for his career.

So what am I celebrating what you ask? I had a successful school audition which placed me in the top orchestra and band (same as last year so not really an improvement, but still good- hopefully some better parts...) So I stopped by Lone Star and bought a bomber of Left Hand Imperial Stout.

The bottle has some grime across the top, not a good sign, but after smelling and tasting, it's not a bad bottle. The color is a dark brown, somewhat surprising, as Imperial Stouts are generally black as night, but oh well. The aroma is inviting and complex. First comes coffee, soy sauce, molasses, and wood. After it warms up the smell is sweeter- lending towards the chocolate, dutch cocoa and brown sugar tones, thought the other aromas are still there and some other subtle notes- rum, smoke, minerals, . The taste is fruitier, but still complex. As in the smell- there's coffee chocolate, woodiness. A lot more boozy on the tongue- this one doesn't cover the alcohol very well (how you take that part of it depends on how you expect a 10.4% beer to taste). Overall I wish the alcohol was a little less present, but besides that I'm very much enjoying this beer- good complexity, very flavorful, sips well, delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment