Friday, January 29, 2010

Michigan Trip Beer Review #3


This is the last in my MI trip series. I bought a Shorts Brewing IPA that I was really excited about, but couldn't get to. And I also had Sundog, an amber from New Holland Brewing, but I didn't write a review- a good session beer though as far as I can remember. I'm going to a tasting this weekend which should be fairly epic. We're splitting a bottle of Sam Adams Utopias, which is ungodly expensive and holds the world record for strongest beer (27%), so I'll do a write up of that at some point.

Michigan Brewing Spiced Pumpkin Ale
Pumpkin beers are one of my favorite styles. During my first fall in Dallas I had a Dogfish Head Pumpkin' and couldn't stop thinking about how much like "fall" it tasted. That experience really sealed the deal, but I was a big fan of pumpkin beers before that too. This was my first time trying this one and I have to say it was way too spiced and sweet for my taste. In the aroma I smelled cinnamon, cloves, honey, and ginger. There was some remnants of pumpkin to go along with the spice but not enough to really support them. The taste was better, still sweet and highly spiced but with more graham cracker flavor. The pumpkin came out a bit. This beer really washes your throat off. I think it would be a great accompaniment to some plain cheesecake or maybe a do a vanilla ice cream float with it, but alone it was too sweet and spiced for my taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment